The NextEngine Scanner is a desktop 3D scanner that uses an array of lasers to scan objects at resolutions of 0.005 inches.
Workflow of creating the STL file:
1. To begin, create marks to align scans.
2. Place the object on the Auto-positioner. You may also use the PartGrabber to hold the object in place.
3. Launch the ScanStudio software. The gear icon at the top of the scanner should light up and the positioner should make some test motions. ScanStudio should report that “Your Scanner is Ready,” and the scan button to the left should be green.
4. Scan the object and align the scans.
5. Check the entire model. Make sure the alignments are correct, trim out any extra pieces, and finalize the file.
6. Export to an STL file. You may use other free software to polish your 3D STL file outside of NextEngine.
7. Request a 3D model by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Library staff will not scan items or fix STL files for you. You must scan the item, prep the STL file, and supply it to us for 3D printing.
Tips for a successful scan:
Example of a 3D model created and printed in the library.